Lilly Pad

Lilly Pad

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Myth of Happily Ever After

Some where in our youth, we are taught that life will end happily ever after. We create in our minds the perfect plan to our lives, and we fully expect that those things will happen. Of course, we admit that "bad things can happen," but we never truly feel that those bad things will happen to us.

Then, somewhere between our blissful happy youth and our adulthood, we discover that life isn't a fairy tale at all. At times it can be hard, miserable, lonely, mundane, or disappointing. The determination to change the world through our job, turns out to be a hoax. The people we love tell us they don't love us anymore, and the plans have so intently come to rely on crumble before us. Our lives are shaken, and we feel lost. What has happened to the blissful happiness of youth?

But, when our lives crumble and fall completely apart there comes a change into our lives. Our souls are so deeply shaken that they have to start over again. The mind has to reconstruct reality, and through this life is enriched.

Life may not turn out the way we expect, but it will turn out better. Not that the next job will be significantly better, the next person we love won't end up hurting us as much, or the plans we make next won't crumble, but our lives will be more enriched and ready for the next step.

1 comment:

John and Sarah said...

That's the irony of life. There's always unexpected things that are thrown at us and we have to readjust once again. But obviously it's good for all of us. Looking back on my dreams when I read my past journals, I realize how limited my perspective was and what possibilities I didn't realize were out there. There's no better lessons we can learn than from life's experiences. And of course, the harder they are, the more meaningful and lasting the impression they make on our lives. Like you said, it all turns out and somehow it's always for the best! Often when I'm struggling with something and I don't understand why I'm going through it, I think that the only reason I've have to deal with some trial may be so I can be more understanding of someone else's life so that I can help them. I've found that to be true more times than not, and then helping others always gets me back out of the "slums"!
Take care Babs! I miss you tons!

Time Square

Time Square